Monday, December 23, 2013

Heavenly Father answers our Prayers

 The construction sight of the Indianapolis Temple.

Elder Paxman and Elder Hjelm goofing off. :-)

Dear Mom, 

Ok, so first, yes we can Skype, but I don't have an account or anything so I need you or Bai to make me one, and then when I call tomorrow to set things up, you can give me the info and stuff so I can log on, and get all of that sorted out. Most likely we will be Skyping around 6:15ish our time so definitely after 4 your time. Or if you would rather just have a phone call we can do that too. I will let you guys decide.


(His mission President had us send his Christmas package to the mission home so they could be distributed at a special Christmas Conference.  We mistakenly thought this would be on Christmas day, so we sent his whole Christmas.  When we found out it was actually on the 19th we were distraught thinking that he would then not have any letters or packages to open on Christmas day) I actually didn't open the box seeing as I thought it might be the 25th day of Christmas, so I indeed have not opened it, so I am glad you didn’t mention to me anything that is in it.  

The Christmas Conference was really fun, the first couple of hours was more like a mission training, so that was cool, and the topic was Christ-like Attributes, which is Chapter 6 in Preach My Gospel. So that was really good, I really enjoyed a lot of the talks, and the spirit that was there!  It was really great!  A guy also came and sang and he was really good, he sang one of my all-time favorite Christmas songs, which is "Mary did you know" I love that song. After that part, we went into the Gym and all had lunch, which was yummy (it was ham with mac and cheese and beans by the way). After lunch we stayed in the gym socialized, played a few games and then, a talent show. So there were all sorts of talents, and some I would say not quite mission appropriate, for example one was the Assistants rapping and dancing, it was really funny, but maybe not so missionary like haha. There were also some singers, dancers, piano players and some other talents, of course some weird ones haha. After the talent show we all went into the Chapel and watched Mr. Krugers Christmas which was really good, and I hadn't seen it before the mission, so it was really fun to watch. (I swear we had watched it before…but maybe not) Then after that they told us our family and friends had sent us packages and letters. So they sent us out by Zone and let us pick a Tie out of a massive selection (or a scarf for sisters) and then we went into the Gym and they had some tables set up with all the missionaries stuff that were in our Zone. We each went and got our stuff than drove the 3 hours home, we didn't get home till about 10:45, but my companion and I had split up, because we didn’t want to take our car. So he got there a little earlier than I did. (That little bit of info will come in handy for a story later). (he never relays the story….I will have to ask him about this next time) So overall the conference was really good.  

I have been loving the 25 days of Christmas things.  My favorite stories, well, I really like all of them, but I lately enjoyed one about the Red Marbles, that was super good, also the one about the string of blue beads, I loved that one (maybe because I have no females to write and a good romance story was needed hahaha). I also really enjoyed the one about Friends and relating them to angels. They have all been really good, and I only have the 24th left than my Christmas package!!! The Branch Christmas party was really good, they had food, piñatas, and music. It was just overall a fun time.  Oh all of us missionaries also sang Micheal Buble's version of Feliz Navidad, so that was fun, but there might be random videos now of us missionaries going around the web haha.  

We actually did get hit with some snow the last week or so, about 9 inches is all in total I would say. Although the last two days it has been raining, which is worse because then you are just wet and freezing.  We are supposed to get some freezing rain here soon which will be cool to see.  

(I asked him if he drives yet.) My compa drives, I am still Junior Companion, which usually means he drives, but he doesn't really like the snow so he got permission that whenever there is a lot of snow on the roads that I can drive.  

As far as transfers go I have no idea, I am guessing I will be staying here in Elkhart with Elder Mancilla for another transfer, but he thinks he is leaving and if not leaving going District leader here in Elkhart.  We will see what happens. We find out on Sunday. Although, I am pretty sure we are both staying. I do really want to stay here in Elkhart though, I love it here and hope I can stay here for a while. Although in these transfers that are coming up we will be getting at least one new Spanish missionary, so we will see, I might train, I doubt it, but it is possible.  

As far as teaching anyone new, we found some people here recently, but seeing as we have only taught them once we will see how things go.  Less-actives, we have not found many, a lot of them have moved, so we are trying to get in contact with them. I definitely feel the same about the re-activating, I really enjoy doing it, when it happens as well as teaching new people of course, I just love the work in general.  

I do indeed keep in contact with the Diaz Family.  I e-mail them every week. I am going to have you search her out on Facebook here soon, she says she has tried to find me and can't.  I gave her your info hoping she can friend request you, so who knows with the Facebook thing. Yea anyone that I have developed a relationship with I try and keep in contact with, so that is nice. Once we get permission from the President we can e-mail pretty much anyone as long as they are not in our area.  

We still have Electric heaters, but we do have Hot water.  Our landlord is working right now on installing the gas heater. We do have pretty much everything we need, the only thing we are missing is a microwave, but we have been able to do without it.  

As far as the other baptism pictures on my SD card, yes that is Celeste's Baptism and that was an amazing experience. I did receive an email from Gilda Paxman and gave them the informations about the Elder they were asking about.  That is such a nice thing for them to do.  It was nice to hear from them. 

I am glad you liked the pictures, and yes I am wet all the way down my legs from the pouring rain.  I am glad you liked the little bit of deeper things, (his thoughts about what he is studying) because I will be including more of those I am sure as the time goes by. My health has been good, I started the pills after I got pretty sick to see if they will help at all, the member say I am looking healthier in the face so we will see. Sister Cleveland asks about my health whenever I see her, President not so much, I don't think he wants to stress about that so much. 

I am not going to include a whole lot more in this letter because I will be talking to you on Wednesday!! So if you have questions or anything you want to ask me, write them down, so you can ask me. That way you don't have to think too hard unless there are more that come to your head that you want to ask. I also heard someone suggest recording the conversations we have as a cool keepsake after the mission, I thought that was kind of a cool idea.  

I will be calling tomorrow to verify and set up everything so be ready for that.  I do not know when we will do that, but I will have about 15 min to set all that up and stuff.  

This week not a whole lot has happened work wise because of all the holiday events, I think it will be the same this week and the next, (especially if either of us are transferred). Well as far as studies go I did finish the Book of Mormon, which was awesome!!! Another thing I have been thinking about is outlook, which I have had to think about a lot lately. One of the things that I have remembered from growing up is that a positive outlook makes everything better, even on those days when it isn't super positive.  If you can at least hope for the day dawn to break, than it makes everything much easier.  Also I got a commitment from my District Leader to study a point in Preach my Gospel, it is at the back of Chapter 8, using time wisely. It is in the personal study part in the back, the second point.  I invite you and dad to look at that. I started to get a little choked up about it when I read it and did the activity. The commitment was to do that several times before the end of my mission, so I won't spoil what I got from that. I want you to do it for yourselves.  I would like to bear a little bit of my testimony and end. Really, I just want to say that Our Heavenly Father loves us so much, and that he is willing to answer our prayers at any moment, we must needs only ask with real-intent and a pure heart and he will gladly answer us. Also, that this work (missionary work) is not a hard work.  I had to give my first talk on my mission yesterday and it was on Missionary Work, and I read a few scriptures that simply say to bring about the work of the Lord, which includes missionary work, all we must simply do is Believe, this is so true because even if we are not sure if we can do it, as long as we believe, that Jesus is the Christ the Holy One of Israel and the Prince of Peace, that he died to atone for our sins, then this work will go forward and we will all be a part of it, because if we truly love this Gospel and all it stands for, it no longer becomes difficult to share it with those around us, even if it is just by our example.   

Well I love you all so much and hope that you have a great Christmas, and I am looking forward to talking to you on Wednesday, (and a little on Tuesday). Love you all so much have a great week and hear from you soon. 

Love, tu hijo, Elder Paxman     

No comments: