Monday, December 30, 2013

I'm going to STRIPE!!


Dear Mom, 

I am also glad that Kenny was there when we had our video chat, it was nice to hear from him and see him. I really enjoyed talking to you all as well!! 

(I will preface this next bit, Benjamin was very sick on Christmas Eve and Christmas day.  Sick enough that it worried him and the branch president in his area.  They wanted a list from him and me of things the members should not feed him.  They said he is to polite and embarrassed to tell them.) Ok first health. I have been good since Christmas and I have made a list of things I shouldn't eat. Mainly by observing what has had an effect on me in the mission. So it is this. 1. Soda 2.Corn. 3. Lettuce 4. Celery. 5. Anything super spicy, and that is about it. Beans actually have not bugged me out here on my mission at all, which is nice because they make them a lot and I really like them, especially Black beans yummy. I also am going to be drinking either that fruit drink or the Kefir more frequently. I stopped because of the issue we talked about, but I am going to pick it back up. Another thing I am going to do is get my heart rate up. When I work out in the mornings I usually do things like lift weights (small ones) or something like that, but I am going to start really working out my abs see if that helps, and also more cardio work outs like squats, lunges, mountain climbers, stairs, jumping jacks, and stuff like that.  See if that helps, I don't know if it will, but we will see, plus help me not get fat. (him getting fat is the least of my worries, he has lost weight) Oh another thing I am going to do is eat less, or if I know I am going to have a meal at a members, eat less that day so when I am there I can eat plenty, so I can be more polite. Other than that my health has been good these last few days, and I hope it continues to get better. (In his photos on his SD card there were containers of Muscle Milk, we didn’t know if this was his but told him he should NOT be drinking that) Second, the Muscle Milk, it is not mine, come on now, If I am going to bulk up I am doing it by hard work, not trying to fast track it with Muscle Milk.  Plus Elder Mancilla had me try some, it tastes worse than Ensure, and you know how much I did NOT like those, I have never been much of a supplement taker.   

(During our conversation with him, he was at the Branch Presidents house, the President came on the video and told us how much they loved the missionaries and our son etc.  He was such a sweet man and told us that they are small people but that they have very big hearts. I of course started to cry while he was talking.) I did see you start to cry when he was talking, I really like this branch a lot. hahaha Unfortunately you and I both cry at everything….. (thanks by the way for that...) haha.  I hope the Spanish sounded good, because it is going to have to get good really quick!!  Also, you can start to learn a little right now. All three of those people who you are friends with in this Branch are very nice, and Hna. Romero speaks a fair amount of English. Now to learn, this is going to sound weird and will probably be a pain for the first few times, but anytime you comment on Facebook or anything like that to any of them do it in Spanish, go buy (or find) a Spanish-English dictionary, and make out the sentences, use Google Translate to help with the structure if you need too. If you do this you will eventually pick up some Spanish, a fair amount too, also have Bai talk to you in Spanish, this will help a lot too. You can also ask me about Spanish stuff and I will help in any way I can. You and Dad should both do this, one it will help for the vacations you want to go on, and when you come back here with me, it won't be as hard for you. Now I am not saying it is going to work quickly or that you will learn a lot, but you will pick up things and at least get a base for things.  

The people we are working with are doing well, we have one Jonaris who will be baptized here shortly, and Manuel who is doing good as well, they are both Part member families and it won't be long till they get baptized, at least as far as I know. Church was really good today, a lot of people took pictures of us just in case, and I really enjoy attending this Branch. 

(I told him that his grandparents enter the MTC today) I remember that night before going into the MTC as if it were yesterday, man it feels like a few weeks ago I was there.  I can just see how Gma and Gpa would react to that stuff.  That feeling also comes back pretty much every six weeks as we wait for the call or whatever to find out what is going on for transfers.  I can't believe in this next transfer I will turn 20!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is so crazy, everyone is like what were you doing last year at this time, and I pretty much have three more months till I am saying, oh I was on my mission!! Also 2014 is my missionary year!! The entire year I get to be a missionary, that is super sick!!!  Time goes by way too fast, I feel like I am still very very green, but I am getting to be one of the old dogs...  

Ay mi madre Gilmore Girls Hijole, not that again... Oh the good old Card game nights with your friends, those where always fun, it is really nice to have that group of people to go hang with.  That is how this Branch is, there is a gang or group of friends just like yours, and it makes me laugh.  

(We learned about the dispensations of the gospel in Sunday School yesterday) I don't even know a whole lot about the Dispensations, but that is sad that he won't be teaching anymore I really like Duncan, he will do great wherever he goes though. Speaking of Old Testament, I have started to read the Bible, and I am determined to finish it before the end of my mission, So I started at the very beginning and I am not very far, it is hard to read sometimes, haha. I did love the Book of Mormon, it was amazing, I will probably start it again, in a way, I am going to read it verse by verse, one a day and really ponder what the verse has to say, because each verse is filled with power. It is said we can draw something from every verse, so I am going to try that, at least until I start it more as a read through again. But first, I am reading the Bible, and the Doctrine and Covenants, just a section a day. Sometimes more if it is a tiny section. So I read kind of everything.  

New Year’s here, we have to be in at 6 or at a members, so as of right now we have nothing planned.  We will probably go to the Branch Presidents house or something on that day. I really enjoyed Ephraim's Rescue I thought it was super good.  

(On his SD card there was a picture that looked like a big flat screen was in his kitchen, I have since been informed it’s cabinets not a flat screen.  I posted that picture to his blog. My eyes must be going bad) Hahaha you goob, I told you it was not a flat screen T.V. Now everyone probably thinks you are crazy and that I am super Jack, well there goes anyone looking at my Blog hahaha   

I loved the candy in my stocking (as always) I loved the package and so far have really liked the Ipod and music, I like a lot of the music you put on there, so that was good. I did figure it out it was a little confusing at first, but now it is easy.  

The weather has been decent it got warm for a day than cold again so the same pretty much and it has been really nice to have a car.  

It is transfer P-day, and I still have to write other people. So it won't be much longer. I really appreciate what Trenton has said about me because I feel the same with him, I am glad I get to see his Homecoming. He has always been a dear friend to me, and it is also nice to be in contact with him on the mission. Well to wrap up I am getting Transferred!! I only did one transfer here in Elkhart!! Which is super sad, because I love it here and I love the people here.  Although, something interesting is happening to me. So I get a call from President yesterday and he is like, “well Elder Paxman I have a special assignment for you”... Instantly in my head I am thinking "Freak!! What is it?" “He then says this is going to be a great opportunity for you, so I was talking to a Stake and we have decided to do something. Elder Paxman you are going to open a new area and stripe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” WHAT DA HECK!!!!! Who does he think I am?!! I have to open another area!! and stripe it!! Which means, I will be the Spanish speaking Elder, and I will be with an English Elder!! So pretty much any Hispanics we teach will not be we, it will be ME!! I am freaking out so much, but I am also super excited to see how this is going to go down.  This is good and bad, one because it shows the President has confidence that my Spanish is good enough to teach on my own, and that I am a good enough missionary.  It is bad because my companion will be able to do absolutely nothing with Spanish, so I am going to need some major gift of tongues or something because this is going to be an adventure and a half that is for sure. President also said it has pretty much not been touched by Spanish in the past, and to plan on being there for a good couple transfers!!! So yea, that was a whopping bit of news for me this week.  

I just want to share one quick thing I really enjoyed from my studies this week.  It was a quote or a part of one that says "At one moment or more in every man’s life he will be backed up against the wall of Faith and there he must make his stand!" This quote is a big inspiration to me and I really like it. I would normally evaluate more, but I have taken forever on this email.  So next week I will let you know where in Indiana I am at, and who my companion is and everything. It will be really interesting to see how all of this goes. Well I love you all so much and hope your week goes great, I will hear from you soon hopefully, and remember and realize that our Father in Heaven is by our side constantly and is watching over us always. 

Love, Tu Hijo Elder Paxman. 

No comments: