Monday, January 20, 2014

Change Brings Progression

Check out my haircut. :-)
Dear Mom,

 First off I actually got to watch a bit of the game bwahahaha!!  (Bronco football game) I know I am so evil, we got a text from the Ward mission leader and his wife and they said they were making cookies for us and others at some in-laws and invited us over, but they said that they would not turn off the T.V. I was like ok that is pretty usual. So we went in and it was the Smily's (the ward mission leader and his wife) and his parents and a sister. They were watching the game and doing some other stuff so I got to watch bits of it in between playing dominoes with some old folks, hahaha oh the life of a missionary... They were a referral but were not interested, so we taught a lesson and hung out, also saw a bit of the game so it was good haha. Anyway thought I would mention that... (He is a Bronco’s fan and his dad has been keeping him posted about their success through the season) I received a few letters from the primary kids and from the young men and from Bishop. Oh and also the Hairs, will you let them know I hope to be writing them either today or next week I have even time scheduled for it!

I am doing really good this week, my health has been alright I got pretty sick once, but was able to shake it off pretty well for the next day. I really enjoy Logansport it is quite a pretty town, at least parts of it anyway. It is also the most textured city I have been in so far! Thank goodness at least some tiny hills. Also it covers another couple towns, one called Monticello which we are going to for the first time today, and I am told it is very pretty, so we will see! It does seem that I am getting into the swing of things a little, between being senior companion, adventures of both English and Spanish, just the whole shabang. We are still working with Pat and Donald although, they have still not come to church.  It doesn't really help that church has been cancelled 2 out of the 3 times that I have been here. Next week I have to give a talk, it was supposed to be this week, but they cancelled it and post-poned it till a later date. I will talk a little bit more about that maybe later.

We have been able to work with a few more people one a Less-Active named Eliseo who only speaks Spanish so that is a good time for me, but he has stage three bone cancer over his entire body which is sad to see... How is Shauna doing by the way?? I have been curious and remembering her in my prayers. We teach a lot more English than Spanish, but that is also because of the weather, we have been fairly busy and we have not had a chance to find new investigators really.  We have found 2 in all of these three weeks I have been here.  I do feel like the work is progressing in this area, I think that hopefully it will continue to progress at a very quick rate. I think I mentioned that there are over 200 less actives here and this branch used to be a ward so my dream for this area is to make that happen once again, but that is a way out there goal that most likely won't happen, but if there is a will there is a way. The members are not super helpful so each week I schedule lessons to be taught to members, like an investigator where we go and talk with the members and build those relationships and see if we can get them encouraged in the Gospel and the Work. The Branch President is a really cool guy, but he is beyond busy so I have not really had a time to meet and talk with him, but our mission leader is awesome!! I really like him and his wife! I feel my Spanish is maintaining maybe improving slightly, I have some opportunities to use it but not a whole lot, but we will see. Although something interesting this next transfer we are getting 2 Mandarin Speaking missionaries!!! WHAT!?!?!?! I know right I guess there are just tons of Asians that go to Purdue and IU, so that is kind of cool haha.

(I asked him what he has been cooking to eat and if the members feed him) Food that I cook for myself, freezer meals, garlic bread, cereal, chocolate milk, chips, and leftovers when we have them hahaha healthy I know!! But my health has been pretty good so it must be ok haha. Also some healthier stuff like pancakes, I drink lots of water, and other stuff like that.  I will cook more meals when I get the chance. As far as members feeding us I think it happens about once a week... So I am hoping also with the building a connection in the Branch that will help with that too, and just bringing the missionaries and the members together. Although, a little funny thing, I got hit on by some young women probably about 16, it was really weird or at least I think she was hitting on me, I don't even know anymore hahaha oh goodness....  

The weather warmed up for a few days, but it goes up and down usually never above 38 and usually stays around the twenties it seems. Oh before I forget I need a street GPS In the biggest way we have had a heck of a time getting around especially if we are just going off an address we have never been too before, it is really rough!! So if I could get one that would be great, it can just be a cheap Garmin but as long as it gets me place to place I am good. (of course we just gave an older one to the DI) I hope you guys get more moisture so you don't struggle with that later on in the year. Man! I was hoping the foreign exchange student came on Thursday. I am way curious what that is like.  You will have to let me know for sure how all of that goes.

Brooklyn wrote me about her trying to decide if she should make a school change.  Make sure she makes her own decision without you and dad showing any favors to one side or the other and that is going to be hard. This is going to be a hard time for her no matter what the choice. That is good though that she got into that Broadway kids show, those are really fun and she will enjoy it and make friends out of it I am sure.

Well Other than that not a whole lot is new this week... Although for my talk the topic that I chose (because I got to pick my own topic) was Sacrifice and Service. I really like it so far and have gotten some really good insights and I will let you know more on how that goes when I give the talk in church... If I ever get to go to church goodness, hahaha. Other than that my more spiritual thought for today is just similar to one I shared earlier about realizing blessings through past events. Lately I have been pondering a lot about why certain things have happened to me and where they have gotten me and the choices I have made through my life and my mission. It is very interesting to look back and see the hand of God moving me about; I have always felt that my life has been exceptionally blessed, more than I can often comprehend. Then I get a feeling that I must be important or have some kind of work ahead because there have been more than enough times where my life should have been taken or seriously changed in some way, but it was not. I always tell people that the Grace of God has affected me and my life more than many, and that I feel as if sometimes I am living off of borrowed minuets if that even makes sense.    Which makes me even more grateful for all the blessings and hard ships I have received over my short almost 20 years of life... Well that is about it for this letter, lots of teaching and studying, and the nearest baptism we have is on March 1st maybe sooner depending on how well he keeps going. We are also teaching lots of Law of Chastity lessons.... Goodness it is an issue for the world.

Well I love you all so much and don't get too stressed with all the change, change is a good thing it shows our growth and progression, often times I feel when we are 100% comfortable something is a little off, change brings challenge, challenge brings hardships, hardships bring increased prayers, and increased prayers brings more spiritpeace and progression, so overall in the long run many times Change is a very good thing indeed. I love you all so much and hope that everything goes well, and I hope to hear from you soon

Love, tu hijo, Elder Paxman


No comments: