Monday, October 20, 2014

"Be Still and know that I am God"

 Elder Paxman, Elder Rowberry, Elder G
 and the Diaz Family.  These pictures were sent to us by Sister Diaz
via facebook.

Elder Paxman LOVES this family!
Dear Mom,
I am doing pretty good Mom, although first off this week’s letter might be a tad shorter, because of transfers.
So Transfers are this week and I know transfer calls go out on Sunday so you must know if you are getting transferred and where you will be.  What's the news?  So the news with that... I am staying in Seymour and Elder Golledge is leaving. Oh and something else...... I am getting a GREENIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My first Trainee, it is crazy I am way nervous.....
On our family Vacation we ate at a place he loves called Family Tree in Santaquin.  We saw tons of scarecrows in Scipio and Torrey Utah. We did some antique shopping and we drove on the Hog’s Spine, a road that is the devil of scary. I love those scones and we will need to go there when I come back, which by the way I finally received my official release date! June 30th!! So my mission overall actually got extended!! It’s awesome! Antique stores, they are really fun to go around and look in. That one sounds really cool though. Scarecrows, I am surprised you didn't freak out thinking of Supernatural!!  hahahaha There are a few scarecrows out here.  I got a good laugh of the pictograph poses. Bailee and Kyle look more Asian, Brooklyn looks like she was a bug nailed on a windshield and dad and Egyptian; so I laughed about that one. Dad was probably goofing around like we would usually do before the pictures hahaha. Ba ha ha.. Oh mom you and heights. Dad and I will have to take the Bikes on that ride!! And the family can follow behind in the Van or something. (He is referring to my fear of the scary road)
The pictograph Picture we took
It sounds like an amazing trip I am way jealous and we will definitely have to go when I get back!! While staying at Ruby’s Inn we visited with a missionary who served in Indiana with Ben. ELDER SYRETT!! I love that kid! I am glad you got to talk to him, I really like him. I also know Elder Brinkerhoff he is a cool Elder too, I do not know him as well though.
On Sunday the Diaz family who Ben and Elder Hjelm converted and baptized almost a year ago sent me pictures taken with him at church.  However, they live an hour away from where he is currently serving.  So I was surprised to see the pictures. I asked him if he knew they were coming or if they surprised him. I was surprised by the Diaz family so it was amazing to see them! They are like family to me, like a goofy aunt and Uncle and two awesome cousins. I am excited for the day when you get to meet them. I didn't get to chat with them long, because, we were getting ready for church and had a few meetings before I saw them. So it was more rushed than I would have liked, but oh well. They gave me some food, and stuff, which was so nice of them. It was just so amazing to see them!!! I love them so much! The members really enjoyed that they came as well, because they stayed for the first hour, which ironically enough I was giving a talk that week. A surprise one at that! The night before church the speakers fell through and so Elder Golledge and I had to prepare them with only like 2 hours total prep time. But a lot of people liked it so I think it went well.
How is the work?  How are your investigators? The work has been much the same. Magdalena a lady we have been teaching only recently, came to church, but it was a weird Sunday because of meetings and stuff so I hope she liked it. We should get to see her again on Tuesday, so hopefully all goes well there.  B. is struggling at the moment, but not in too bad of a way. So I ask all to pray for him!! He is trying to decide which church he should be baptized into, ours or the Evangelical church. He believes in the Book of Mormon, but he wants to know he is doing the right thing. So please pray that he may get the answer from God that this is where he needs to be.  Gods only true church on the earth, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. 
Alex told me about his new job so I am excited for him. How did the Dinner go with Aunt Brenda and family? What do you think of the new boyfriend? How is Parker treating Rachel? I am glad she likes him. He seems to be a good kid. Don't forget the music list that I sent you a few weeks back in the email. I want that music sooner than later :) thanks mommy.
Okay now like I said this letter is going to be a little shorter. But could I first ask a favor of you. I need you to put my name in the temple this week. Not for anything grave, but just to help me to know how to best train this new missionary, and that both he and I can be edified in doing the work. It would mean a lot to me if you could do that. I am nervous for this calling so to speak. I know the Lord qualifies us for our callings and is always there to help us, but I would still really appreciate it.
Okay story time, so like I said about Bertin He is having a hard time right now trying to decide and more than this get an answer. We were teaching him, and I had already told him, and testified, and done all I felt I could. I feel as though this happens many times throughout our lives, we reach a point where we feel we have done all we can, it may not be the same circumstance, but it is still the same. We do all we can to help influence those around us, but there comes a point when we have nothing left to offer, we are all out of ammo so to speak. So we were talking, and I just remember saying a few words that I had left. I remember saying something similar to... You know Bertin, we have taught you many things over the last few weeks, but all we have taught you, and will teach you, will mean nothing if you do not take it into your heart, and strive in believing them to be true. He knew as I did in that moment, that I was speaking the truth and that WE were and are Representatives of God. I had been pondering the last few days in some moments of hardship, questioning if I had made the right choice in returning to the mission, and if so how will I know it. Because as far as everything else had gone, with frustrations, teaching very little, not having much success and feeling like I was drowning. I remember asking God this question deep in my heart; of did I do the right thing. And when I taught B that simple truth and felt Gods love for him and the Spirit of the Lord in abundance there was no doubt in my mind that I made the right choice. Yes things will still be hard at times, and yes I have much to learn, but I know just as I knew back the first time that I am called of God, as his Servant and Friend in helping bring to pass "the immortality and eternal life of man"!!! I know it and I know God knows it and that he wants me to be happy and be proud of the decisions I made. That is the advice or spiritual message I have had this week. We must when all things seem dark, push forward and know that we have made the right decisions, for if we have, God will be there to greet us on the other side. We will know without a doubt that we served him the way we should have, and we will never be disappointed in the decisions we make, if God is involved in the making of it. So yep this week was really hard and great at the same time. Now, look forward to the next day and the next Dawn and the next challenging horizon.
Well I love you so much and hope that everything goes great this coming week.  I hope that you enjoy your calling, for it is of God, if you have felt it, and even if you haven't, trust in his servants and move forward knowing and following his council. "Be still and know that I am God".
Love, Elder Paxman


No comments: