Wednesday, December 31, 2014

I would rather not look like an Umpalumpa!


Dear Mom,

It sounds like its building up to be a really cold winter in Utah. The snow is probably much needed though I would imagine. Here it is getting colder, but for the most part it isn't too bad. Also, no snow still. 

We are making seeing a movie the day after Christmas a tradition.  This year we saw the Hunger Games movie Mocking Jay.  Daddy liked it better than the others so far.  I think that it is kind of funny, that of going to the movies the day after Christmas. That is good that dad liked the movie, so far they aren't some of my favorite. They are good, but not a have to see movie for me.

I told him about our plans for break and mentioned that Brooklyn was already trying to fill up her schedule with social events. I can see Brooklyn already making plans for all those days. I can't even imagine what it is going to be like when she gets into High School... It scares me to think about it haha.

Have you eaten all of your Christmas Candy and treats? I have eaten a lot of my Christmas candy, mainly because if I am going to be doing 6 months to sexy I need to eat less junk food, and if it is in the house, we all know how that will go. So I have eaten a lot, but there is still some. I am freakishly sore today because I worked out like a beast so I could get going on the sexy part, and tell you what... I am not sure if it is worth it hahaha, there aren't even any potentials who are waiting back home, most are married or in a relationship anyway. But it is a goal of mine so here goes nothing...
(For reference Six months to Sexy is a mission thing, at least in his mission.  When missionaries hit their six month mark, they have six months to lose any mission fat and get into shape to prepare for dating and girls post mission)

How many meals were you fed on Christmas? On Christmas we only ate one place and that was with the Creasy's, it was really nice, homemade American food. I missed it. Other than that, we ate a lot of junk food. Christmas overall was really good, we had a fun time, and really enjoyed the time. It is crazy to think that it is my last one as a missionary...  I will miss it a little out here next Christmas, there is nothing quite like a missionary Christmas. So it will be sad when that time comes around.

I told him about Elder Rowberrys homecoming and some funny things he said in his talk comparing Indiana to a Star Trek movie.  Ba ha, he is such a nerd, in a good way... I love that kid, I am excited to see all of them when the mission is all said and done. I will be sad when that day comes too though. I hope he can come to my homecoming along with other missionaries that I know. That would be awesome and a special treat for me to see a lot of them again. Especially the ones I was companions with or just really good friends with. That sounds like a really good time at his homecoming.

I told him that Elder Rowberry told me that Elder Paxman is a phenomenal missionary. I don’t know about that, but I try to do the best I can and try every day. Trust me some days are much better than others. I just want to do the work and help people the way that I have been helped.

The doctor there has prescribed Vitiman D and sunshine, because his Vitimin D is really low.  So the mission nurse told him to make sure he got 15 minutes of sunlight a day.  I asked him if that meant a tanning bed?  Ha ha.  The sunlight thing is just normal sunlight, which I get a lot of, but she wants me to be in like short sleeves so my arms can get the sun. So it isn't anything too extra special just sun time for me. Thank goodness not a sun tan machine. I would rather not look like an umpalumpa! Not to mention the idea of crawling inside a giant microwave... No thank you!!

How did you like your slippers and sweaters, do they all fit? I really enjoyed all of the gifts thank you so much for all of those!! They were awesome. The slippers are amazing and both the sweaters fit. I really like the argyle one. I still have to set up the basketball game thing. It will be really fun though. I am glad that you sent it.

You mentioned having lessons set up to teach this week, how have they been going?  How is the work during the holiday? A lot of the lessons we have been scheduling have fallen through. So we are really trying to find those people who are prepared. We were still able to teach a lesson or two I think. Although this week has been slow so far. We are really trying though and we will keep doing so. A week it seems we average anywhere from 11 to 15 lessons, usually 12 is the average. Yes we try and get at least 20 lessons a week, so that is hard, really hard sometimes, but we do our best and we seem to be improving from week to week so I can't complain. This area is probably the slowest area I have been in so far. Although, I hope and intend to change that, if it is in the will of the Father. Yes getting motivated has been hard when things are so slow, but I have been doing better at that. I really want to be a good example for Elder Ryan. I am not the greatest missionary, but I am trying to do my best so he can be better than I was and so he can enjoy his mission. I firmly believe if one can enjoy their mission in the service of those around them, they will never regret the decision and they will see the hand of God in many different ways.   I hope I can live up to what people expect of me, at times it is a little overwhelming to try and live up to those standards. This week with the little success we have been having I paused to question myself, "Am I doing something wrong?" Sometimes I feel like I am not good enough, but regardless of how I feel, I know that people need this message. I know that it has changed my life and I know it can change the lives of others around me. I just hope I can do my best for those around me and for myself. I heard a quote that I really liked it was very pertinent to me. It says. "Make us proud, Make yourself proud." I think if we cannot take happiness in our own work, we might need to reconsider some things we do. 

That cat is freaking crazy! I don't even know what to say about it besides it is a freak of nature. It made me laugh how you emphasized that WE were contaminated because daddy and I always blame you or the girls for bringing illness in the house haha. Hopefully you did get feeling better; I noticed when you talked to me you were coughing. Sorry about that I hate being sick, it bites.

Well mom, we are getting hurried along they are going to close the libraries so I need to wrap up. I love you so much and hope you have a great week! I know that if we can find happiness in anything we do, we can truly be a force for good. I always try to find happiness in life. For me the happiness comes in the small things, it sounds cheesy, but sunsets, sunrises, and the stars have helped me feel happiness in times of struggle in my life. Well I have to go love you a ton and have a great week, find those little things that make you happy!

Love, Elder Paxman


No comments: