Friday, March 20, 2015

Letter to Dad: Trials make the man

 You'll understand the pictures after you read the letter.
He wondered if he would ever serve a full time mission.
But as he says... Trials make the man.



February Zone Conference

Dear Dad,
I am feeling a bit better. Yea it seems as though I have got an alright grasp. I am hoping it was just a bug or a hiccup. Who knows we will see. These trails have been a really good experience for me, although they have been rough at times. I feel though as you said, that this will accompany me in this life. Which I am not bothered by. It reminds me of Joseph Smith when he talks on how he has known these things (persecutions and afflictions) his whole life, and he would not know what entirely to do without them. For me he says a part about how he is want to swim in deep water... Better deep than shallow. I thought the other day, what would have happened if they would have caught the problem soon in my life? I then thought this simple and to me powerful thought. "You would not be anywhere near the man you are today." I would not be willing to change that for many things in this life. As the health has come back up as an issue, it has made me think of the gift of a body we are all given. Mine has some malfunctions, but it is mine none the less. It’s like the toy that after years of being outside and now looks thrashed, that has no less value to the kid who loved it then when it was new. My body is not perfect, and no one’s is. It has its flaws as do we all. But as the Lord said to Ether and Moroni, "I will make weak things become strong unto you..." Plus, I can still run, I can still eat many foods, I can still do many things that some unfortunate souls cannot. I owe much to how my life has turned out and will turn out because of my health. I wish with all my heart to finish out my mission. I would give just about anything, but if it is not the Will of the Lord for me, than that is what needs to happen. Although something as dramatic as last time will have to come up for me to even think about it. I will let you know if there are any big medical decisions I am unsure about.  As of right not, I am just getting ready for the test on Wednesday, hoping all goes well. So we will find out.
I love the mission, it makes me really sad to see it coming to a close for the second time. I am hoping to do all I can in these last few months to keep pushing forward. I am sure you realized it at times when you were on the mission. The time that I bet you learned some of the most is when your Father passed away. I cannot imagine what that would be like... I am sorry it happened that way. Although I am sure it has been a blessing in your life as well, as it has in mine. I still remember that day in the temple when we were talking with the Temple President, I will never forget that experience... Well I will stop writing it has gotten long. I hope this week is an amazing one for you dad!! I love you so much and am so grateful for everything you have done for me in my life, all the love and support. I told my companion right after I was done talking to you on the phone, with tear filled eyes. "He gets me every time with that one..." He then said what. I said "When he says Son, I am proud of you." Dad that means more than the world to me. I hope I can continue to live up to what you expect of me. I love you so much and look forward to hearing from you soon. My prayers are with you always.

Love, your son.

A side note: Elder Paxman has been having a few small health issues. Nothing really serious, but whenever he has an issue he fears it will be the beginning of the end of his time in the mission field. He had a big test on Wednesday just to make sure there wasn't something serious going on.  We talked to him a few days before, and he was feeling almost back to normal from having a few sick days the week prior.  He was happy and lovig the work. We have not heard anything back about the test on Wednesday and assume no news is good news.  According to the President and his PA he continues to work hard, looks good and doesn't let this get him down.

No comments: