Monday, June 8, 2015

3 Weeks left to serve: My 3 Scariest Moments in the Mission!

A Picture from the beginning of the mission.  Sometime in the first 3 months in Indiana.
 Elder Paxman, his trainer Elder Cozzens and the Visa waiter in their trio Elder McDaniel plus other Elders from I think the White River branch.

Dear Mom,

I am doing much better emotionally this week; actually luckily it was kind of just a one week thing. I am down to write emails again haha. Who knows with next week though?

Now we are nearing the end of the mission and the end of emails.  Daddy and I are going to have you tell us something specific each week for the last 3 emails.

Name your 3 scariest moments in the mission: Scariest moments on my mission... hahaha Mom, I don't think I will answer this question truthfully; I might have to edit them so you won’t freak out.  One was the first day here in Indy and getting anti’d hard core!! It was a 30 min. fiasco inside of Walmart after I had been a missionary in the field for about an hour. This white guy comes up with really blue eyes wearing a tan suit coat and jeans. Preacher style. Then he comes up to me, because I was first and the first thing he says is "Now I know they kill some of you...." I am sure I looked like a terrified child. My trainer was even like oh crap we are about to get shot!!! So the guy then goes on about kidnapping and all this crazy stuff, and torture. Then he says how he knows the only way the church keeps us on missions is to torture us and threaten us with death.  So if we misbehave we get killed, tortured, and a whole lot of other stuff. That was terrifying, and indeed a moment in the refiner’s fire.

Second. Probably losing my companion for about 30 min. in a sketchy part of town and being on a bike, that was a piece of crap. Also when a group of black men said to come here.... I don't think I have ever peddled that freaking bike so fast in my life!! Of course these are really brief versions of the stories, because if not they would take forever to talk about.

The third... this has been really hard to choose. Also I do want to clarify, many times scary stuff has happened, but you don't feel scared, and the Lord does indeed protect his missionaries. Anyway the third that I can think of right now... Probably being sexually advanced on by some really attractive young women... Mainly, because the temptation is there. Now don't judge me, but they missionaries are not blind. It was scary, because of the thought of falling and failing, which in that moment becomes a lot more real... Luckily some quick thinking on our part got us out of there with no issues. There are hundreds more mom, but like I said I didn't answer it all truthfully, you would have a freak out if you knew some of the stuff I have seen... There was a time we watched a guy get gunned down pretty much in front of us, or seeing a lot of prostitutes, or stepping out of the car to hear the clang of bullet shells under your feet. Getting chased by dogs, and jumping fences. As well as a whole slew of others! hahaha so yep.

That is cool that you had all of those storms!! I would have liked to see that! It would be super cool!! I can’t believe they had some tornadoes in Utah, I am sure you would be freaking out over tornadoes. I think it would be cool to see one. Also of course some touched down in Utah, the place where they never happen, and they happen when I am not in the freaking state!! Of course that is how it works!! Not to mention while I am hear, a place where tornadoes are not totally uncommon and pretty much one hit, that's it. It wasn't even that bad... Lame.
How are your investigators?  Rodrigo we have not been able to teach, he has been really busy. So we will keep trying. Vicenta and Lupita are doing really well. They both came to church! So that was great! I am hoping to see them baptized before I finish my mission. Daniel is doing good, we haven't been able to meet with him. So we are hoping it all goes well there. He wasn't able to come to church because of some other things. We have a lesson with him this week. So it should go well.

Luckily the depression thing is gone. I am back to my normal peachy self. Which is nice. Thanks for the comments on the mission though mom. They were really good to hear. Although, I am indeed doing better it is just hard to think of the mission ending. Although, I feel sure I have more hormones than a freaking pregnant lady, but all will be well.

Well as far as my spiritual thought. This week was my last fast Sunday in the mission....  So I kept up the tradition of bearing my testimony every fast Sunday. Of course like you mom, I cried... Freak I hated it that I cried. Although, it was amazing to feel the spirit work through me to touch the hearts of others. I was not the only one to shed a few tears. My mission has changed me for the better, from now and into forever. It has prepared me for life, and all of its adventures. I will forever cherish every moment, even the hard ones, the scary ones, the not so good ones, and all the others that can exist. One thing I have tried to do throughout my life, and that I testified of on Sunday was to "Judge not". Sadly we all judge others. I have tried to not do it, but I have many times in my life. Some have had dire consequences. Some I may never know the consequences till after this life. I had this profound thought. The act of judging others and the spreading of gossip is what killed The Son of Man. Think about it, the Scribes and Pharisees spread rumor and slander about the church, and the very Son of God, which in more ways than one led Him to the cross. As it was then, so it will be now. Judging and the spreading of rumors will destroy this great work, and it will be what holds us back from having Zion again on the earth. Even minor things can turn into the gravel that causes us to lose our footing and fall. Are we not all sons and daughters of God? We should all be a little better at not being quick to judge. Life is too precious and souls are indeed at stake. "Be ye therefore perfect, even as thy Father in Heaven is perfect..." We can never get there, in this life, so why sit there and point out the fact that someone else has no hope of getting there, when you are in the same freaking boat! For with what we judge others we will be judged. We know that to be true. I have been far from a perfect example in this, but we are all trying and hopefully all improving. That is what matters. Beams and motes people, beams and motes. I am sure there will be other times when I judge and when we judge someone else. But let’s try and make it less, and try and do our best to make it kind. So yep I have had lots of thoughts about that the last few days. But I do not want to sound preachy or anything so I will wrap up. I love you and I hope this week sees you well and you have a great week.

Love, Elder Paxman
a Juan face [;{D


No comments: