Tuesday, May 26, 2015

5 weeks left to serve: A mission visit from Dad!

Elder Paxman got a visit from Dad this past week.  Lincoln was on his way home from a cross country trip to the National Fire Academy and stopped to spend a few hours with Elder Paxman and his companion.  Following are the pictures that he sent me to make me feel jealous.  :) 

Elder Paxman and his companion took his dad to one of his favorite little Taco places for lunch.

Elder Paxman and his companion Elder Labrum.

The study are in their apartment.

Elder Paxman's favorite choice of food this week. 

This dresser has been in the mission in one of the apartments since 1992, and every missionary that has used it has signed it!  I absolutely love this!  The history!!  That means this dresser has been in the Indianapolis Indiana mission and been used by missionaries for 23 Years!!  When the missionary is transferred out of this area/apartment they sign the dresser.  Elder Paxman will sign the dresser in 5 weeks! 

Linc with Elder Paxman and Elder Labrum inside of the Taco place.  It is also a little store. 

Dear Mom,

I knew you would be super Jelly when I found out that dad would be coming to visit on his way home from his trip. It was really fun to have dad come.

In the pictures there is a dresser that missionaries have signed; daddy said you told him there is also a table in one of the other apartments.  Did you sign it as well?  Where is it and did you get a picture?  I think these are the coolest things ever!! I did sign the table although I do not remember if I took a picture... It was in Logansport.. So hopefully I took a picture I think I did. I would have to look through all the photos I have taken. The dresser is super cool! I am excited to sign it and get a picture next to it!

It was really fun to take dad to the taco place! Not to mention yummy!! It has really good tacos. I am glad you enjoyed the pictures. Plus you can just look at the pictures and see if I have gotten a little more in shape! haha Or maybe you can't tell, maybe I puffed out my shirt just to make it look the same... Mwahahahaha evil laugh of awesomeness!!! Or… maybe daddy took pictures of him with things in the way.  I actually think I have gained weight... That's not good! Having Dad visit me in the mission was a fun memory and one we will not soon forget I am sure.

Did your companion mind spending a few hours with Daddy?  Did it bore him? Yes my companion was just as excited as I was, and I loved spending the day with dad. It was awesome! No he wasn't bored; he is just quiet all the time. He enjoyed it though.

I hear Elder Rowberry, Hayden changed his wedding date?!  Yep he did, and I am excited that now I will be able to be there!!!!

What did you do with the rest of your Saturday after Dad left? We went and taught a few lessons, and just did the work.

How has your week been?  How is the missionary work? My week was pretty good I would have to say. We tracted a little so it was all good. The work has been going good; we had a few good lessons. We also helped with the temple prep class which was kind of fun, especially since I never took it haha. We were able to teach Lupita, Vicenta, and Maria which was really good. Also we had a really good lesson with Daniel. I also made a bet with him, so I might need some money on my personal funds... hahaha Anyway....The bet was about going out to eat not actual money, so don’t worry about that mom. So they are doing well, we hope to help them get baptized at the latest the 27th of June. We are still working on finding new investigators and really helping that family progress to baptism within the next month. Church was good, we had a really amazing lesson with Daniel at church so that was awesome!


What percentage of Sacrament meeting do you think you understand?  I got this question from Griff… he was asking Trenton the same question this week. Spanish Sacrament meetings I say I understand about 99% Of what is being said, general conversation more like 90% sometimes there are still a few words I do not know. Actually there are a lot of words I do not know.

Here at home Brooklyn is gearing up for her 9th grade Lagoon Day and we were remembering the last time we went what a big chicken Elder Paxman was on the scary rides.  In his defense it was quite a while ago.  I reminded him of how funny it was.   Yea I am sure you all got a good laugh out of that. Talk about humiliating... I am kind of a pansy mom, if you have not realized. I still am one too. Maybe if I watch some more Grimm and Supernatural when I get home I will do alright, who knows, my guess is no. I have not been to Lagoon after that event, man I was a freaking chicken... I still am, but not that bad thank goodness. Plus what is the purpose of scaring the crap out of yourself? I heard it is like drugs for some people. They need that adrenaline rush, and their body loves it so it wants more. Hence addictions to scary movies. I would like to stay free of that one if I could hahaha.

You mentioned you teach a weekly English class?  What day do you teach it?  Is it mostly members and how many people usually come? We usually have the class Fridays and it depends usually around 6 people. Not a ton, but enough. Most are members, but there are a few that are not. There is not much more to tell you about the class.

How was P-Day/Memorial Day?  Did you do anything with the members or investigators?  For Memorial Day we played sports with a bunch of members and Lupita and Daniel were there, which by the way, at 2 man volleyball Daniel and I being on a team destroyed everyone!! It was awesome!! We make a good team, it was really fun. After that we went and had a BBQ with most of the same members that came and played sports. It was really fun. We got Lupita to play wall ball with us. Which I realized is like a white kid’s street game. No one knows how to play it!! Which is sad because I love it! I have also reached one other goal that I will not tell you about, because it has to do with secret stuff hehehe. So this last week was really good, and the Memorial Day activities were really fun. Okay so yep we are really working with that family to come to a knowledge and be baptized, I want it to be before I go home, but if it must needs be till after as long as it happens. I learned a lesson similar to that one, with another family. It was a great lesson on Humility, but If the Lord will's it, I would love to be here for their baptism.

Okay so now on to the spiritual thought. This actually came up two weeks ago, and I wrote it down to write about this week, and it was a nice coincidence that it fell on the week dad would come visit. So I was reading and pondering one day and with the help of my Pat. Blessing and a few scriptures I realized a few things I thought were cool. One is the immense love that God has for each one of us. Which is pretty frankly stated so I won't elaborate. The next was of my own thinking. As missionaries we are always asked "Why can't you talk with your family over the phone? Why can't you see them more?" I came to this conclusion. One of the big reasons I think is so that we may have at least a sliver a mere speck of what it will feel like when and if we return to the presence of our Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ. Imagine the sweet joy of going back into our Heavenly Parents presence. The joy we feel after being reunited with our families after two years must be similar, just not quite as glorious.  Also in an interview I had with the Stake Pres. He said, If we live to be like 75 I think it is approximately 2.2 years Heaven's time. So just about the amount of time we are on our missions!! I thought that was pretty cool! When we reunite with our families again after that period of time, we feel a piece of the Joy that we will feel with our Heavenly Father when we return home. I thought that was a pretty cool thought. The other is how much the mission resembles our own lives and the way we learn and grow. We come in not knowing hardly anything, but through the things we suffer and experience we learn. We continue to grow and progress throughout this life, we continue to fight for things we want, and make mistakes. In my eyes with the purpose that when we come back, we will be thoroughly converted, much like we do when we come to this earth. So in reality the mission is like a little life we have that plays with our entire life and journey along the pathway to eternity! I thought that was pretty cool. Mission is the preparation ground for life we have heard, but in all likeliness it is like a little model of our life in many aspects. We are called and serve with people we are supposed to meet, families, companions, friends, Investigators and members. Things we are in need of learning, and obstacles to make us grow. I think anyone who has been on a mission has felt this. As well as those who have seen an Elder or Sister come home a different person then when he or she left. As we left our Heavenly Fathers presence we were yet learning and young, and when we get here we are put to the test and grow substantially. Then we are called back home, and receive an “interview" of all we have done with our time. Then we receive all the blessings we have worked for and maybe not all at once. For there is "Eternal Progression in The Celestial Kingdom of God". Of course they are not exact mirror images, but a very close analogy. So when dad came to visit it was like my own little glimpse into heaven as the apostles and prophets have experienced. When we have Calls and Skypes home, and the fervent prayers that on occasion grant such miraculous experiences. Also the weekly emails or the daily prayers and conversations we have with our Father in Heaven.  There are many more that I have thought about, so I could go one forever, but I won't. This was kind of a cool thought I had for the week. Anyway I love you so much and hope you have a great week! I look forward to hearing from you next week!

Love, Elder Paxman


No comments: