Monday, May 4, 2015

8 weeks to serve: We got a referral from a member!!!

Dear Mom,

I am doing pretty good this week. Father in Heaven definitely likes to put me to the test sometimes that is for sure. The motivation has returned, I guess being trunky is a real thing. 

We went and saw “Children of Eden” at RHS, have you seen it? I can’t remember. I actually have not seen the show, but I really enjoy one of the musical numbers in the show called "lost in the wilderness". I believe it is sung by Cain. I really like it.

Will you be calling/skyping/FaceTime for Mother’s day any idea? I actually have no idea what it will be like for the mother’s day thing... We still have to work all of that out. My guess is face time if we can do it. If not it will be skype, we will see. I will do the phone call the day before to set up everything. So don't worry about that. It will be weird because of the short amount of time between the Mother’s Day call till I will see you all again.

Do you still hear from any of your friends now that they are home from the mission?  I am not hearing from any of those hoodlums. They all have lives now, so I don't even really expect an email from any of them. I haven't been in contact with hardly any of my friends from before the mission. Which I don't blame them, I am sure they are super busy, plus it is hard to write when you are at home. Trust me.

How has the mission work been this past week? The mission work has been going pretty well. I will probably talk about that more at the end.

How long does your companion have left in the mission?  Are you still getting along and do you work well together? Elder Labrum still has a year on his mission. We get along alright yea. I feel we work pretty decent together. The lessons are a lot of me talking, he is really and I mean really quiet. There are lessons where he doesn't say a single word... I even stop and look at him and wait, but I can't wait for too long or the investigator gets uncomfortable. He talks in some, and not in others, so I think he is working on it.  It might be that he is not super comfortable with the language. I am trying to think of a way to help him grow as a missionary. 

How was our blitz of the other area of Frankfort?  Explain to me do you go there and stay overnight with the Elders or what? Is it part of your district?  It was really good, we did a lot and I mean a lot of service, which isn't what we were expecting, but it was really good anyway. Except the fact I got fried that wasn't cool... Oh well. Frankfort is striped right now, so both Spanish and English. We went down to help the Spanish work, although not much of it was done. That is okay though. It was still really good though. Yea so blitzing is where we go work with the Elders of that area to help strengthen it. Yes we stay with them in the apartment for the days we are there. This will be something we do more frequently, so it should be good. So pretty much we go down there and change companions and work in their area to help build the area. It usually only lasts over one night, but we did a long one with 2 nights so three days. That is pretty much it. So blitz both companionship's work in the same area, and exchanges you split up and work in the two different areas with a different companion. Does that make sense? It was not part of my district, I am kind of over the Spanish work in the area, but not really, I am a source of help for the Spanish elder there.

I told him that a new sister in our ward who just moved here from the Midwest got up and bore her testimony on Sunday and talked about how in their old ward you had to shoulder your way up to bear your testimony.  We have talked about this before, why outside of Utah the members really love to bear testimony and there is a constant flow,  but here sometimes there are not very many people who do.  I wondered what the difference is and what his thoughts on it were. Okay so as far as the testimony meetings go. I have put some thought into this. So many ask what is the difference between the saints in Utah and the saints in other places around the world? In my opinion… First, I think sometimes it is just dependent on the Ward/Branch. There are many other things too. So I will talk about a few of them. First off, Members of any ward or branch or unit of whatever size around the world, stop doing what I do all too often, and that is comparing yourself to others!!! So what if the guy next to you was a Bishop or Stake President once, it does not mean his testimony is more valuable than yours! Get that out of your head right now! You are a beloved son or daughter of the Great and Eternal Living God! You are special and unique to Him!! So quit thinking my testimony is of little worth, you never know the impact you may have on those around you. Second, you can only grow your testimony to a certain point without sharing it!! That is why we are COMMANDED to be "Every member a missionary!" If you do not share what you have, all you are doing is letting it rot in the corner. Testimonies grow in the act of sharing them! If you don't have one or it is weak, it does not matter, Heavenly Father and The Christ have both said, that the gospel will be preached by the weak. I am so weak, at times our faith falters, that is alright, but do NOT let it hold you back. Peter walked on water, and then doubted and sank, but after his faith faltered he got back up and tried again throughout the rest of his life! He denied the Lord 3 times, but he testified of his love for him three times as well. He then lived his life the best he could, I am certain with mistakes along the way, but he did not let his weakness hold him back. If he would have let his fear and doubt hold him down, there would have been no chief apostle, no rock, only the shadow and fading’s of a great man. So do not let your fear and doubts stop you from bearing the slight testimony you have. Every person has a testimony of something, so use it. Third, Many will say, when I feel inspired I will go up. Of course there are times and seasons for all things, but if you are not willing in the first place to bare your testimony, then why would he urge you to go against the very gift of free agency he gave you and bare a testimony. If you are not willing he will not make you! Today is the day of decision. So where do you want to be? We all dream of greatness whether that is in the courts above or the earth below, either of them do not come by sitting and waiting! Faith is a principle of action! Testimonies are so precious no matter the strength or size, they all have worth, and they are all written in the books of records in Heaven. My testimony has faltered at times in my life, as has everyone's I believe. Even Joseph Smith, we have three sections in the D&C of him asking God some very deep and saddening questions. We are all weak in one way or another. Ether 12:27 states it perfectly. 27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.  So do not let it stop you. Fight for what you want, because it is the only way you are going to get it! These apply to everyone including and maybe especially me. So those are some of my thoughts on that subject.

How are lessons going?  Teaching many people?  Things are going pretty good, we are really trying to still find more people to teach. So I hope and pray we may continue to find more. I have a few goals I wish to accomplish before I come home, that are very personal to me. I hope and pray that I may obtain them. We actually got a referral from a member!! It was awesome and I haven't gotten one of those in what seems like forever! It was for her soon to be mother in law, also we got invited to the wedding of her soon to be sister in-laws kind of thing... The sister of her soon to be husband. Anyway we went and at first it was a tad awkward, but after a few moments I relaxed and was able to talk to a lot of people. We have three appointments from it this coming week! So that was awesome! They are such a great family with a lot of potential! So we are hoping that they will have a desire to come to church, investigate and be baptized! Their names are Maria, Vicenta, Daniel, Guadalupe, Perla, and Aurelio. I hope it all goes well! So if you could add your prayers for them that would be amazing! So that was the big thing for the week! We have another wedding to go to this Friday which will be awesome!! So that should be great. It is of the member who gave us the referral! 

Anyway this has gotten long. I love you so much and hope that things go well for you this week. Remember those daily prayers both when you get up and go to bed! ;) hahaha. Oh so tiny spiritual thought. Do not put a restraint on God for there are none! Do not doubt His potential to lift you up, to guide you, and to bless you. He loves you and is in the details of your life! So don't put limitations on Him or on yourself, for you have that same seed of divine potential, I mean our spirits are the literal off-spring of God! So go out there and fight for what you want and believe. He will not fail thee nor forsake thee if your desires are righteous. Anyway I love you so much and hope you have a great week! I am also excited to talk with you on mother’s day!

Love, your son, Elder Paxman


No comments: