Tuesday, May 19, 2015

6 weeks left to serve: "Average is the Enemy of Excellence!"

Dear Mom,

I will be staying in Lafayette to finish off my mission! So that is crazy!

With only 6 weeks left, do you think you are Trunky? Man mom you always ask me if I am trunky but I think you are much more trunky than I am. Although, with the arriving in the airport. Remember to invite EVERYONE!!!!!!!! Friends the whole 9 yards mom!! Come on! Please!! It would be awesome! Yea I don't know what time they will release me. They usually try to do it earlier than later I am sure.

How has the mission been this past week?  Teaching any investigators, LARCS or even members? Okay so the mission this past week. Not a ton new has really happened. We have taught Lupita and Vicenta more. They are both doing well and really trying to learn. Lupita is reading in about 1 Nephi 14, which is really good. So we are hoping all goes well with them. Members we taught a few of them, and LARCS we actually didn't really teach any this last week. Which was really strange, but we have a few we will be hoping to go by here in the next few days. We are also teaching a weekly English class for anyone who wants to come, which has been really fun actually. We have done a ton of service this week, almost all day Saturday, and then on and off throughout the entire week.  We feel like we have worn our service clothes more than our proselyting clothes, which is really funny. Service has been everything from moving people, to helping with yard sales, to a bit of gardening, so just about everything.

Have you had any Zone conferences or District meetings this week? I noticed on the Indy Facebook page that there have been some zone conferences. We had a Zone Conference this last week with President which was really good. There was a lot of good training and such given. One thought that I loved was continually trying to be better, because we all fall short on what seems to be a daily basis, but if we are trying and really put forth a good effort we will be blessed.

Do you have any exciting plans for P-Day today? Plans for P-day, we ended up doing mostly service which was different. We were busy all day. Sorry that is why I didn’t write you until today. (Tuesday)

Do you get along well with all the Elders and Sisters in your area? I feel that I get along alright with the Elders and Sisters in the area. They are really nice; some I am good friends with and others more like associates, but still fun either way. We actually went out with some sisters that work on Purdue Campus and ate some food. It was really fun. Sister Goodstein (probably spelled that wrong) was one of them, and I met her back in Columbus, she also goes home the same time I do. So she is really nice, it was fun to hang with her and some others this last week.

How are the investigators doing that were at our Skype? As far as the ones I skyped you with, they are doing alright. Lupita, Vicenta, and Daniel are doing really well, so that is awesome. Aurelio, Maria, and Perla are not doing as good, but we are hoping to get them investigating more here soon.

How about your health?  Staying steady? Your Iron is really low.  My health is hanging in there, I was pretty sick one night, but other than that, I think it is doing alright. I don't know why I have trouble sleeping every once in a while, I just do. I am not overly stressed, well not more than usual or anything, so who knows. Oh also before I forget I bought more Iron and Hair gel so there is going to be a 20 some odd dollar charge on my card. We are also going out to eat today, so that might be on there as well.

I am jealous that you and your compo get to go out to eat with Daddy this coming weekend.  Are you excited? I am so excited to meet with Dad!! It will be awesome to see him, so he will get a sneak peak haha. Although, I really haven't hardly changed at all, I just like to joke around and say that I have. Yes mom I got it cleared with Pres, don't worry haha!!

Six weeks left can you believe it? I really want the time left to count and make them memorable so I will be doing my best to do that.

Anyway, like I said this email will probably be a little shorter because of the fact I am emailing Tuesday because of the service.  Spiritual thought... Well this will probably be all over the place. This last week has had me thinking a lot how this will be my last transfer on the mission, and what will happen when I get home and everything... Well one thought was this. I was never a big fan of people saying your best two years are the two years on the mission. For a few reasons, one if they were my best years than that would make the rest of my life just average, and in a talk given in this last conference "average is the enemy of excellence." So that would be lame. So I narrowed it down, also because there are many days in these best two years where we don't do our best or could have done something differently or whatever you wish, but in the long run it is far more than worth it. So I narrowed it to days. If you can try and make every day your best day, you will live a good life, filled with hardships and mistakes, but you can say that you put it out there and at least tried. Many of us shoot ourselves down before we even try. I will relate this to a story with Calin. So we were on a hike when I was back home. It is a beautiful hike called Kanaraville Falls. Well I will make the story shorter and less interesting for time’s sake. We were going along and decided to go up a little slot canyon thing. First off bad idea, I was home to recover, not go adventuring, (but like that was gonna stop me..... it never has before). Anyway we get up there, and before we know it, (and this has happened on many different occasions with Calin and many other people), we didn't know how to get back down... So we sat contemplating... Finally since I was lower I needed to go first, also if someone was going to get hurt, better me than him. So thinking of ways I am going to get down, I eventually decide I am going to have to jump and use the opposite wall to bounce off to get to the lower bulging rock. So after many almost attempts I finally leaped. Now as anyone whom has ever had to make a jump where there might be unsavory results knows the feeling of everything goes into slow-motion as you go through the air. Well after the leap, I managed to actually do what I had planned, which kind of surprised me. We then continued on our merry way and were able to do many other awesome things that little outing. So One thing I learned from that. Never let fear get in the way of you doing something that could change your life and the lives of those around you. Perhaps another example. So me trying to be nice and an idiot at the same time decided to jump a chain-link fence to grab a ball some investigators hit over a fence. So I get to the top of the fence, you know the awkward position with one foot on and the other kind of dangling on the side you just came from. Well the fence started to shake, which made me a little nervous so I grabbed the fence through one of the diamonds that the links form. Well then like an idiot letting my fear get the better of me I just jumped, which caused my arm and hand to double back on themselves.  Let me just say that didn't feel too great, along with a few cuts. So again I learned that, fear will stop us from doing many things in this life. It is indeed a chain that can bind us down to the gulf of endless misery and woe. So let us shake off those chains and be better always improving and overcoming our fears. I jumped the fence again to make myself feel better.... hahaha, It’s a guy thing. Anyway, that is my spiritual lesson that I was taught this week. Sadly there is a lot more to it, but I do not have more time.

Well I love you so much and hope that you have a great week. Remember mom, don't be trunky, you still have 6 weeks. That is like forever... Okay maybe I just tell myself that to make myself feel better. Anyway I love you and hope you have a great week. Sorry again about the pictures. 

Love, Elder Paxman   


P.S. We can't be here in Indy the 6th or 7th of August that is now when Elder Rowberry (Hayden) will be getting married!!!! So I have to be there for that! 

No comments: