Monday, April 29, 2013

My Spanish?....


We google mapped his address and this is what it shows.  Doesn't seem to sketchy to me. 


Hey, Mom.
So I will start with the travel. We got to the airport at 5ish in the morning, then we waited about 45 min for the truck with the rest of our luggage.  After we got through security and everything, we went to our gate and found out that our flight was going to be delayed for a long time.  We were supposed to leave at 7:15 a.m. but we didn’t leave till about 11:50!!  Then we flew to Phoenix and had to wait for about 1 hour there.  Then we flew all the way to D.C. and we had to wait there for like 2 hours. So anyway, we flew into Indianapolis at about 1:45 in the morning.  The mission president, his wife and the APs were all waiting for us. After we shook all their hands and gave hugs we left for the mission home.  We got there at about 2:10 a.m.  After we got there they fed us a few snacks and such which was really nice.  All of the missionaries slept at the mission home.  There were about 15 elders and 6 hermanas, but 9 of them will be going to Brazil once they get there visas. So we just slept at the mission home, and they let us sleep in a little.

The next morning we all got up and they fed us a good breakfast and had a little testimony meeting where we got to meet everyone some more. After which we went to a chapel and were assigned companions... I am in a trio with a visa waiter and then the trainer. Elder Cozzens is the trainer, he speaks really good Spanish, but Elder McDaniel speaks Portuguese.  He is the other person who will be here just till he gets his visa.  After which we went shopping and I got just a few odds and ends. Then we went back to our residence and put away most of our stuff except our luggage.  We only had about 5 min to do that, because we had an appointment for that day. We went to our appointment and they weren’t there.  We had some more appointments, but they were all no shows except our dinner plan with a member named Marta. So that was good.  It was good Mexican food, some beef fajita like things... After which we went tracting!!!!  And yea I thought I knew some Spanish, but it is just like the best 2 years... I DONT KNOW JACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They talk so fast I can hardly understand them, I can get some ideas across but it is in very butchered Spanish comparatively. So we went back to our apartment that night and I just felt like this stinks.... They said it was going to be hard but this is ridiculous, we weren’t even able to teach anyone one stinking lesson. Our apartment is a little sketch, (meaning sketchy, scary) all three beds are in one room and we have a small kitchen and living room. It is on the 3rd floor.... So when we got back I was able to unload my stuff and get somewhat ready for the next day. I slept well that night.

The next day we woke up at 6:30 which is usual, and then we started studies at 8 after we were all ready for the day. We have studies for like 5 hours!!! We don’t get out of the residence till like 12:45.

We have a car in our area. My area is called Cumberland and is in the West Indianapolis zone. So we have the entire down town pretty much. That day pretty much all of our appointments fell through again, except one with a young girl named Yazmine.  She is 17 and will probably be getting baptized in about 3 weeks.  After that, we did more tracting and found one really good investigator, well potential I should say. After which we tracted more and talked to one or two people but really only taught the one lesson and we didn’t participate much because I know no Spanish. So over the next few days we did more tracting and we had a total of like 1 actual scheduled lesson that we actually went to, which was awesome. Then Saturday we found an amazing new investigator who I believe will get baptized in the next 2 months or so. Other than that we study a ton. I still know absolutely no Spanish.  On Saturday, we were fed some food late (7:00) Saturday night, and it didn't sit well with me.  On Sunday I got pretty sick with my stomach stuff, but I went to church and taught Yazmine again, but after that we decided to head back so I could rest and hopefully get better. I still feel don’t feel great today which stinks.  Someone else fed us and I hate being rude so I ate some... Stupid idea by the way.

Overall though I am liking it, not as much as the MTC right now, but still really enjoying it.  I think I will like it more when I don’t feel yucky. My address is 5925 East 12th street Apt. C2 Indianapolis, Indiana. I am sending you my SD card today sometime... It has some pictures of the field. The weather here is interesting... mostly it just pours.... or is really cloudy, but I don’t mind it, it is still pretty warm either way. The people here are interesting.  Some of the areas are a little nerve wracking.  They are pretty friendly though.

I have a story.  On my first real day when we went shopping for some food and such, we were going out of the Wal-Mart, like checking out.  This Caucasian guy comes up to us and is like "I know you guys are being watched, and I know they kill some of you and torture you.... but now is your chance to get out now”... So instantly we all thought he was threatening us which scared us.  But then we realized he was talking about the church.  So we tried to talk to him but he was having none of it... He thought our church was of the devil and evil stuff happens in it.... (So I take this to mean the man was trying to offer them a way out of the evil church they are in, lol) So that was my first impression of the people.... interesting no? Other than that they are pretty friendly, you know at least from what I can understand. So it is definitely interesting here, a little freaky but I like it, and I will like it more once I get better at the language.

That is really sad that Martha passed away.... (Our neighbor passed away and I had told him about it) Give my condolences.... She was such a sweet lady, and she will be missed greatly.

I have been here for 5 days my p-days are Mondays still, but they only last from 10 to 6 so they are kind of short.  I really like my companions and I am getting better at the language daily so it will get better soon... I hope.

Stay strong on the DC I know you can do it... oh and I doubt I will be able to skype then, but I will figure out in more detail as I go. I don’t know if it will be skype or a phone call. So yea... things are ok here, they will get better... Have everyone send snail mail and lots of it...

I will let you go because I still have a lot of e-mails to write and not too much time. Have Dad read this too that way I don’t have to re explain, I can just answer his specific questions. Well I am glad things are going good at home and I can't wait to talk to you all on mother’s day.   I should have a baptism by then!!!!! OH YEAH!!!! Well I love you mom.

With all my Love your son Elder Paxman, Ben


Dad,
Yea the field is going pretty good I will just have you read moms letter so I don’t have to re-type everything. I didn’t see many of the monuments (When flying into D.C.) I only saw the capitol and the Washington monument.

It has been pouring here mostly... I traveled with an Elder who also didn’t have a travel buddy.  His name was Elder Utaichai so that was really nice. My Spanish is not going that great hahaha.  It is but it sounds bad and I feel like I don’t know anything at all. Write me a bunch because I love mail, and get everyone else to write me as well.  If anyone writes have them give a return address.  I promise to write back. It is really hard here but I kind of knew it would be in the back of my head. I just hope I start to feel better soon. My p-days are on Mondays. My mission Pres. is really cool I enjoy him a lot and will be kind of sad to get a new one in about a month.
I just can’t believe I am already 1/12 through my mission it makes me really really sad. Because I know I will grow to love it as the time keeps coming... I just wish I could understand stuff. We found a super solid investigator named Jo we taught him the restoration, and got him to commit to baptism on our first meeting.  I was way excited but then the trainer told me that only about 30% with a baptismal date actually get baptized. I decided right then, that once I can speak that that number is going to jump up to at least 60% if not more... Because I can definitely see room for improvement, especially since we are getting no referrals and they say that is the best way to get investigators, so that’s about to change.

Well I have to go get ready for the rest of the day, and hopefully get feeling better. I love you all so much, stay safe and have tons of fun in Utah tell everyone hi and that I miss them. Love you all..
.
Your Dearest son, with all his love Elder Paxman, Ben



No comments: