Monday, March 3, 2014

Blessings and Challenges

Drew and I at his baptism last Saturday!
Dear Mom,
Ok, so I have no idea where to start because I was kind of laughing throughout the letter and yet thinking of all the fun. So here goes nothin. First my health has been alright, I got a little sick not too long ago, but all is going fairly well. (This letter will probably require a lot of my little explanations, as he went right through my letter and addressed each topic I wrote about.)
(I attended a Missionary Mommas Retreat this past weekend and told him all about the fun, also there were 16 moms of missionaries from Indianapolis in attendance.) 16 Indy moms, goodness gracious! They must come from all over because Elder Hjelm and Elder Stones moms are from Idaho and Colorado, so that must be crazy. Elder VanHaren and I are tight for a couple reasons, one is because he is my district leader, and two is because he has a bucket list, which is awesome because I have one too. Another reason is because I was there when he came out, now we, our whole district is tight, and we are bro's and have some pretty freaking awesome adventures. Overall your retreat sounds like an amazing experience with you and the other moms. (I also found out this week that his mission has a facebook page where the mission posts pictures etc.)  I thought you knew that our mission had a Facebook page, although we aren't really allowed to look at it so I have no idea how it is, but you will have to let me know.
(I told him we are having a few difficulties with our foreign exchange student) I am sorry that things are not going too well with Regina, hopefully things will come around, just keep working with her.  I guess I really have no idea, luckily the parenting thing is not in my job description at the moment haha. (We have been having missionary lessons in our home for about the past month with our foreign exchange student and I told him how we are loving the experience) I am glad you are seeing the Joy working with the missionaries, keep it up, we as missionaries love it when we have families to work with that are super cool. Do the missionaries have a lot of member appointments there in Utah? I would imagine? Here in my area not so much, but back in Utah probably tons.
(His sister Brooklyn placed first in Region Inspirations in Photography and gets to move on to State)That is amazing for Brooklyn that she is able to do all that with her photos.  I want to see it one of these days. That is also cool that her show is enjoyable for her, there is a part of me that wants to get back into all that singing and such... But who knows. I hope Brooklyn will do well in State this year with her photos.
(I explained that in my calling right now we are getting into the thick of planning youth conference) Youth Conference, it is crazy to think that I never had the opportunity to go to those. L I think I actually went to one overall, Trek.  (I told him that I had visited with a family in our ward that he used to Home Teach and that they said they just love him.) Of course they love me.... Well come on I am me...
(So apparently Ben lost some sort of bet to his companion and needed the email address of a girl he knew in high school.  I was asked to get it from her via facebook.  I then told him, bet or no bet… do not embarrass yourself.) Ok yea I get your point but whatever.  Okay Mom I will not make an idiot of myself... Come on now, give me some respect, I mean I am absolutely terrible with girls so if I make a fool of myself it will not be because of a bet, it will be because I am a missionary and am super awkward around girls hahaha. Although I do have to say you know me too well mom. Also that is cool that Bai gets to play her understudy role in the show that should be fun for her.
So the work this past week has been really good, we have been working a lot on LARCS as well as trying to find new people, sadly on those fronts nothing really panned out... But we did get an investigator who has been investigating for a while named Donald to get on a Baptismal date, which he is really excited for.  It is set for the 27th of April. So if I stay here for another transfer, I will be here for it. Other than that not a ton has happened on that phase of the work, we are just continuing to try and find people to teach so hopefully here soon we can do that.
Now for the Baptism, we had the baptism this last Saturday and it was really good!  My part in it was the confirmation, which was a really good experience for me, and even more so for him.  He and I are really tight seeing as my companion and I found him and taught him and baptized him.  He is pretty chill all the way around I would say. I am so happy for him!!
I am still loving the area a lot, and we did try a new town on the borders called Delphi.  We didn't have a lot of luck there, but we were only there for a little bit of time.  It is okay, we will continue to try and get by there every once in a while. My Spanish is doing alright.  It is holding in there, I am really trying to work on it in my studies, this is nice because it will help me to get used to what it really feels like when I will be home and not be able to speak it on an everyday basis. (I sent him the little spiritual message that I heard in Music and the Spoken Word this weekend) I liked the little message at the end of the music and the spoken word. Although, it would have been cool for you to see Elder Holland, I would have been so jealous! Well maybe next time.
Anyway other than that this week has been really good.  One thing I have realized is that I have a lot of pretty awesome stories or at least that is what a lot of people tell me, so that is cool because I have always wanted them. Anyway as far as studies go there was something that I noticed that I really enjoyed.  It is in Preach my gospel at the end of chapter 8 in the study and applications part. It talks about how it wants you to think of the final day in the mission and what you want to say you have become, what you want people to notice is different about you, and also how do you want to have changed. So overall it was really cool to see and to think about.  It makes me realize how long I have really been out and the blessings I have seen and the challenges I have had. This week we talked with a lot of people about challenges and I personally like talking about this topic because it allows us to see the hand of God more in our lives. One thing that stood out to me was someone said that sometimes extra ordinary spirits have a harder time in this life so they may learn and grow.  Then we went into Elder Nelsons talk on this subject, it is from the talk he gave last conference, and I really love that talk a lot.  I feel as though I can connect with it exceptionally well. You should all read it!! One more thought before I end, it was that of remembering those days of baptisms.  When Drew was baptized it reminded me of all the baptisms I have seen in my life and the ones I have been a part of, which makes it even more interesting.  We learn something or feel something from all of them and I realized that I have seen many in my short 20 years and am grateful for that.  Well next email I am going to talk a little about the feelings I’m having of what it is like to be a year old.
 Anyway I have taken a long time and I still have to email other people. Well I love you all so much and am grateful for the prayers that us missionaries receive on an hourly basis.  I hope you have a great week and that all goes well. Love you all and hope to hear from you soon.
Love, tu hijo Elder Paxman

No comments: