Saturday, March 8, 2014

Scripture Slide Case

A few weeks ago Elder Paxman requested a new set of Spanish Scriptures and a case for them at his 1 year mark.  The ones he was given in the MTC are thrashed.  He wanted a case that was just a sleeve or small zip case to hold the scriptures to protect them in his backpack.  He already has a nice scripture bag.
The two Elders serving in our stake have been in our home a lot teaching some lessons and I noticed they had these great holders that are just a cardboard slide with fun pictures and quotes.
I want one of these!!
So I asked them where thy bought them... They made them!
Seriously!!  These Elders have skills.  
Apparently it is a thing in our mission and some other missions.
So I took a picture and sent it to Elder Paxman and asked if the Elders in his area made these. 
He said, Yes, some have them, but he doesn't think he is creative enough to make one.
Here is a quick picture of one of the cases owned by one of the Elders serving here.

He made is using a cereal box, pictures from the church magazines and packing tape.
I decided to make one to hold Elder Paxmans new scriptures that I will send him this week.
It was a FUN project!  Plus he will have a case made by his mommy! :-)

I started with some Church magazines
a ruler
an exacto knife and a free box from FED EX.
Linc decided a cereal box would not last long.
The Fed ex box is a lot thicker and stronger.

Below are pictures...
I put the box together and then put the scriptures inside to measure where to cut it.


I had to cut it off the top and one side because it was too long.


 I took the piece I cut off the side and slid it into the big part of the box, to make it a perfect fit and still have finished edges on both sides.

 Then began the decorating!!  This was fun to decide what to put on it.
I bought a few pictures at Deseret Book 
printed a few small things off the internet 
and used some from the New Era.

Below is the front

The Spine

 One of the sides, the touch all the lines is a picture I got The Indiana Indianapolis page, it has some importance to Elder Paxmans mission.

 The back

 The other side

 The scriptures fit snugly inside.  To get them out you just give a little shake and they slide out enough to grab them.
 

This was such a fun project, and I wanted to put it here on Elder Paxman's blog as documentation.
I can't wait until he gets it on Thursday, March 13, 2014.  His 1 year date!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting